Glamour was in full-swing last night at the 86th Academy Awards and butter LONDON Global Colour Ambassador, Katie Jane Hughes, was on-hand to help beautify Kerry Washington and Maria Menounos.
“Kerry had worn a similar red shade of lipstick for the London premiere of Django Unchained and loved it, so she wanted to recreate that lip colour for her Oscar nail look.”
- Katie Jane Hughes
Get the Look:
- To create the look to complement Kerry’s purple Jason Wu dress, Katie began by painting the nails with two coats of butter LONDON Nail Lacquer in La Moss as a base
- She then applied a layer of Nail Lacquer in Saucy Jack to make the nails a bit more red
- Katie finished the look with butter LONDON’s Matte Finish Shine Free Topcoat to make the nails look velvety
“Maria’s white Johanna Johnson gown was elegant and understated so she wanted her accessories to be bold and make a statement. Nails are a really important accessory when it comes to the red carpet so we decided to play them up with a chic chevron.”
- Katie Jane Hughes
Get the Look:
- She created a custom blend for the base shade using butter LONDON Nail Lacquers in Union Jack Black and Pearly Queen
- She then used butter LONDON Nail Lacquer in Union Jack Black to create the outline of the chevrons on the tip of each nail, using a thin striping brush to achieve the thin line of lacquer
- The interior of the chevron was filled with butter LONDON Nail Lacquer in Gobsmacked which created a contrast between the base shade and the chevron
- Katie completed the look with the butter LONDON Patent Gel Top & Tails Topcoat
Charlotte Tilbury International makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury was on the scene to create the gorgeous look adorned by Penelope Cruz for the big event.
"Penelope's look was inspired by the sultry silver screen siren Sophia Loren. I wanted to really exaggerate her incredible almond shaped eyes and make them the main focus of the look. When I am creating a look for the red carpet it's so important to marry the make-up with the dress, because Penelope's dress was so bold I wanted to keep the look neutral and glossy but with that touch of old school Hollywood glamour." - Charlotte Tilbury
Penelope’s skin was prepped using Charlotte’s Magic Cream (available Fall 2014) to create a gorgeous, dewy, luminous complexion which is especially important in the dry humidity of L.A.
WonderGlow (available Fall 2014) was lightly applied all over the face to create a flawless soft focus, candle light effect on the skin creating the perfect base for makeup. A thin layer of Lancôme Tient Miracle foundation in Medium 6 was applied to even out Penelope's skintone and a touch of concealer was used on any areas of redness, under the eyes, around the nose and on any imperfections.
Using Lancôme Le Crayon Poudre in Taupe, Penelope's brows were filled into a Sophia Loren inspired arch for perfect facial framing and were set in place using Lancôme Modele Sourcils brow gel.
An elongated, feline eye was created using a black Kohl eyeliner on the upper and lower lash line, dragging it upwards and outwards into a feline flick and into the inner corners of the eyes to accentuate Penelope's beautiful almond eye shape. The inner waterline was also lined with black eyeliner for added intensity.
Penelope's mesmerizing copper brown smokey eye was created using the Charlotte Tilbury Dolce Vita palette (available Fall 2014) all over the lids and into the socket to bring out the gorgeous amber highlights in Penelope's brown eyes.
A corner eyelash was applied at the outer edges of the eyes for extra red carpet drama to really accentuate and draw out the feline shape of her eyes. Plenty of Lancôme Hypnose waterproof mascara was applied top and bottom for an incredible filmstar flutter.
The sculpt shade of Filmstar Bronze and Glow (available Fall 2014) was traced under the cheekbones and around the jawline to really accentuate Penelope's facial framework using a powder and sculpt brush. The sculpt shade was applied onto the temples using a bronzer brush where the sun would naturally hit for a healthy glow. The highlight shade was applied onto the high points of the cheekbones, down the nose and onto the bow of the lip for a dreamy candlelight effect on the skin.
Lancôme blusher in Rose Subtil was applied on the apples of the cheeks to add a subtle pop of colour.
The lips were prepped and hydrated using Lancôme Baume in Love lip balm. The lips were lined and then followed by the perfect pinky nude lipstick shade, "Penelope Pink" from the Charlotte Tilbury range (available Fall 2014) which was inspired by and created in homage to Penelope herself.
Have a favorite look from last night? So does NYC Cutler/Redken Styling and Grooming Expert, Jenny Balding and below are her exclusive tips on how to recreate her fave looks!
"This beautiful, classic vintage Hollywood style is refreshing as it isn't a faux bob or very long but it's just right, at the shoulder. The key to this look is to create the wave just through the front section and throughout the perimeter of the hair." – Jenny Balding
Get the Look:
- Create a deep side part wherever works best for your face shape and hairline.
- Blow dry smooth and keep to just a natural volume for this look.
- Mist hair with a light and versatile hairspray like Redken fashion work 12
- Use a medium size curling iron and start by creating the front section first as this will set the tone. Create the wave from underneath the cheekbone.
- Hold the iron vertically and wrap from mid-length to the ends.
- Finish by setting the hair with a stronger hold hairspray. Redken control addict 28 is perfect for this as it holds and creates shine.
"This is a stunning, swept up, Brigitte Bardot inspired style and compliments her black and white gown beautifully. Her graphic black eyeliner adds a 60's inspired feel to the whole ensemble." – Jenny Balding
Get the Look:
- Start by blow drying hair with a round brush to create body, volume and slight wave to the ends.
- Separate into two sections. Take the crown and front section and pin to one side then leave the underneath section out.
- Sweep the underneath section into a chignon that hugs the curve of the head.
- Take the top section and back brush under the crown area to create padding and volume and twist lightly and secure into chignon.
- Finish by gently loosening some shorter pieces to frame the face and mist with a light hairspray – I love Redken fashion work 12 and it is very versatile and light to work wit
"Charlize is simply stunning with her sleek, smooth, grown out pixie which complimented her sleek gown with clean lines. If you have a shorter hairstyle you can style it in so many ways, this, being one of them." – Jenny Balding
Get the Look:
Charlize has naturally wavy hair so you can also recreate this look with a few simple steps.
- Apply a smoothing, straightening balm, Redken align 12, to clean wet hair.
- Blow dry smooth and wrap the hair back and forward to prevent creating volume.
- Create a deep side part which works best for your face shape and hairline.
- Sweep and tuck behind ears.
- I love Cutler Flyaway stick which is perfect for keeping your strands sleek and glossy all over.